Preparing for your maternity session
all your questions answered
Pregnancy is a time of celebration and, of anticipation to as you prepare to meet your newest family member. You will realize that you are stronger than you ever thought you could possibly be, and you will form a bond with your child that will continue throughout your entire lives.
It is common not to feel beautiful while you are pregnant – especially during the first pregnancy. The miracle of pregnancy is beautiful! You are growing a real live human being inside of you.
You are beautiful, and this is the time to celebrate those swollen feet and stretch marks. These images will be a great gift to pass down to your child as an heirloom of your first memories with them, and something you will treasure forever.
Preparing for your session
Now that your session is booked, here are tips & tricks to make your session stress-free.
Choosing what to wear
Several weeks before your session start thinking about what you will wear. What vibe do you want your images to have? Is your family more formal or more relaxed? A good place to start is my Style Guide. You will find many color palettes to choose from.
Lay your outfits out on the bed and look for items that don’t work. Be sure to include shoes, jewelry, or other accessories that you may wear.
Choose items that accentuate your bump. Celebrate and embrace your changing body!
If your partner or children will be part of the session, remember, you don’t need to match! You simply want to coordinate your outfit so that everyone’s individual style still shines through.
Make sure that your outfits are ready the night before so you don’t feel rushed on session day.
Including siblings in your session
If you are including little ones in your session, be sure that there is someone there who can distract the kids while we take awesome images of you!
Tips for siblings
- Allow time at the beginning of the session for the kids to warm up.
- Make sure there are no hungry tummies.
- Plan sessions around nap time so little ones will be rested.
- Let them help pick out an outfit. They will be more comfortable. Don’t worry if they choose something awful, we can do a few shots and then have a wardrobe change!
- Have a bribe/reward for after the session. Just make sure not to bring it out before the end of the session.
- The best way to ensure that your kids are at their best is to just relax and have fun.
What to bring to your session
Being prepared will help take the stress out!
- Bring a brush or comb for windy days.
- Don’t forget chapstick or lip gloss. Dry lips aren’t easy to Photoshop out!
- Bring makeup for last-minute touch-ups.
- Make sure to pack a reward for the little ones.
- Bring snacks. In all seriousness, children will become fidgety and restless. A few tasty treats are jellybeans, cheese and crackers, Goldfish, dried fruit, and gummy bears. Do not bring messy foods such as chocolate or ice cream!
- Bring a water bottle.
- Have a few outfits to bring, perhaps a long dress as well as something more casual.
Session day is here!
Your big day is finally here! We will meet at the agreed-upon location and time.
Sessions usually last 1-2 hours and there’s no need to rush. It usually takes at least 30 minutes for us to get acquainted and comfortable with each other, especially if there are little ones.
Expect to laugh, dance, and have a fun-filled day celebrating your growing family!
Put aside any doubts or concerns that you may have about looking your best as we capture precious moments.
Have peace of mind knowing you hired a professional and are in good hands.
“A baby is something you carry inside you for nine months, in your arms for three years, and in your heart until the day you die.“